Tuesday, December 21, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird


The first time I read To Kill A Mockingbird I was in ninth grade and it had a profound effect on me. It opened my eyes to the human condition outside of my own world and inspired me with the character of Atticus Finch, a man who is true to himself and his children at whatever the cost to himself. This stirring story of a small town in the Southern United States and its struggle with its demons of past and present will make you think about yourself and the world we live in today and how it has changed... and how it has not. If you have read it before, I will ask you to read it again. I always tell my students to not be afraid to read a book twice or more because they will find and learn something new every time they pick it up. What I got from this book in ninth grade is distinctly different than what I took from it now. For those of you that have not read it, you are missing out on one of the greatest books ever written. It is a story that makes us reflect on ourselves, our own beliefs and the society we live in. It takes us out of our comfort zone and makes us face ourselves. The coming of age of Scout and Jem, Atticus struggle to be an example to his children ( and ourselves) and Tom Robinson's ordeal will leave you on the edge of your seat, wanting to finish the book rather than wait for another day. Enjoy the great story, the many layered characters, but most of all let it make you think of your own struggles and the kind of person you want to be. Don't forget about Arthur "Boo" Radley either. I would tell you more, but a great story is waiting for you to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment